When we first started selling our dog fashions, we used a black mannequin dog. I named him Oliver and he was quite cooperative in posing for all the pictures, but the cuteness factor just wasn't there. Having always had large dogs, such as Collies, I had not been introduced to the world of tiny dogs, but the more I received pictures of customer's pets in the clothes they had purchased, the more I craved having a little cuddle bug of my own.
After doing much research, I knew I was hooked on having a long-haired Chihuahua. Now I had to a) convince my macho husband that we needed a tiny Chihuahua, and b) find the perfect dog.
After many weeks of searching (while still working on the convincing part), I came upon Liz Moore's Diadem Chihuahuas in Spokane, Washington. She had this adorable 2 year old girl available and I was smitten. I was prepared to get her when we had some events happen in our life that made me think that perhaps the time just wasn't right. However, I am married to the most wonderful man in the whole world that will stop at nothing to get me what I really want. He plotted with Liz to get her as a surprise for Christmas, but I found out what he was up to! So, while he didn't have to make the trip to get her by himself to surprise me, I was still thrilled beyond words and could hardly contain myself for the few days until we left.
Stormie just turned 4 years old in November and has been living with us for two years now. She took to the modeling right away and starts spinning circles when she sees us getting the 'studio' set up to do some photo shoots. Secretly I think it's the special treats she is wanting, not the actual modeling, but I'll take what I can get!
Stormie is absolutely the cuddle bug I was after. She will snuggle up against my neck and sleep like a baby for hours if I let her. Her other favortie position is to lie on her back in your arms, just like a real child. You rub her tummy, her eyes close and she is in heaven. When not lounging in mom's arms, Stormie loves to play. She loves when puppies come by for visits and will do the 'derby dash' run all over the house with excitement. When a canine playmate isn't available, she is quite happy to have me sit on the floor and play with her. She gets SO happy she can hardly contain herself.
Stormie is the official greeter of the house. She will bark when the doorbell rings, and sometimes a little bit after the visitor has come in, but usually she goes right up to them to say hello. She has her favorite few people that she gets super excited to see stop by.
All in all, Stormie is the perfect little Chihuahua. She is a great ambassador for the breed, as many people are not even aware that a long-haired Chihuahua exists. She is our travel companion, loving to ride in the car. She accompanies us to Lowe's, where she rides in the cart (usually modeling one of our designs) and everyone oohs and ahhs over her. She just looks at them like she's saying "Yes, I'm the Diva, you may worship me".
Stormie is like the face that launched a thousand ships, as she has inspired us to get two more (their stories coming soon), as well as a little Pom-Chi, Teddy, for my mom. Several of our friends have also gotten Chihuahuas since getting to know Stormie.
She hasn't been with us all that long, but I cannot imagine life without her!!
She is and will always be my favorite. :)
ReplyDelete