So, where did the term 'Dog Days of Summer' come from?

It comes from the stars in the sky. The story has it that the great dog star follows his master, Orion, as he makes his annual journey through the sky. Sirius, also known as the Dog Star, is located on the shoulder of Canis Major. It is the brightest in the heavens, and its name means sparkling and scorching, as it is nearest to the sun during the height of summer.
The hot, summer days - Dog Days - which Sirius was thought to cause, run from July 3 to August 11th. The three stars of Orion's Belt point at the Dog Star, Sirius, in Canus major at Orion's heels. It is best seen in the northern hemisphere during winter, between December and March.
Well, however it started, the girls and I are spending lots of time in our cool basement sewingroom (and while, yes, it is a cool, as in awesome room, at this time I am referring to the temperature). I sew and the girls lounge around.
I would think they would want to spread out in separate locations, but no, they have all piled together into a Chihuahua Dog Pile.
Go figure.
No comments:
Post a Comment