With over 75 million pets in this country, statistics tell us that 37% of households have more than one dog. A multi-dog household. I am not talking about the hoarding situations where people end up with dozens, sometimes hundreds of dogs.
I am talking people like me. With three Chihuahuas and contemplating a fourth.
My husband and I have raised six children and learned the fine art of giving everyone quality attention and one-on-one time with mom and dad. While it is different for a household of dogs, some of the efforts are the same.
Our girls love to hang out together, as you are aware. Sometimes they all three will pile into a bed together and at other times, a little curl of the lip lets the sister know to back off.
Of course they all want attention at the same time, whenever I sit down on the couch to watch TV or visit with someone. Petting three dogs with only two hands can get tricky, but I have mastered the trick.
I try to spend one-on-one time with each of them. I would like to say I accomplish this on a daily basis, but that wouldn't be truthful. I will take one with me in the car for quick trips, or outside to do some watering, or for individual walks. Sometimes just one gets to sit on my lap for loving while the others wait their turn.
They love their individual time, but unlike the kids, they don't seem to be 'keeping score' as to who is getting what. I haven't looked inside their crates lately, so I suppose Breezy could have a master chart pinned to the ceiling where she tracks it all. She would be the one to do that.
The girls are very good at getting along with each other. We don't have scuffles or fights. I do have to monitor chew bone time as some of them like to 'collect' them from the others and this can cause hurt feelings.
Dogs can teach us a lot about getting along with each other. They don't hold grudges, forgive easily, love unconditionally, and are delighted with the slightest show of kindness.
We have a happy Chihuahua household.
Of girls. We are considering getting a boy.
The girls are starting to complain about the cross-dressing for modeling gigs.
That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.
There is still the fear that I could end up like this picture, but I'm not too worried about it :)
Where do you suppose you get a stroller like that...???

No comments:
Post a Comment