Welcome to Cody and Company Pets


This blog features the adventures and thoughts of my life with our little Chihuahuas. Life is certainly never dull when you have such cuties to spoil and enjoy life with!






Monday, October 11, 2010

Custom Design Sweaters

My girls never lack for clothes, especially with a mom who designs dog clothes. They have a closet full of them.
I also like them to wear sweaters when the weather turns chilly.
I do not knit or crochet.
I do many things, but not those. I tried once. A long, long time ago. A kind neighbor decided to teach me how to knit, so we started with making a scarf for my then 6 year old son. He is now 30 years old. I told you it was a long, long time ago.

It turns out I am a little tightly wound person. My kind neighbor had never seen anyone knit as tightly as I did. The scarf came out about 4 inches wide and I don't remember how long, but not long enough to be a scarf. It looked more like a bandage thing you would find in a first aid kit.
Greatly embarrassed and admitting defeat, I have never tried knitting again,
But, I do love sweaters, so I buy lots of them for the girls. I recently got the idea that I could embellish the sweaters and still feel like I had had a hand in 'making' them special!

 
I had just purchased these sweet pink argyle sweaters and decided to jazz them up with some little pink bows. I am pleased with how they came out. The project was super simple and took about five minutes per sweater. I chose to put a bow at the crossing of the lines on certain squares. Very simple, nothing too difficult.

I am thinking that one could do the same with buttons. Especially if you had a sweater for a boy. Go to the button section at your local fabric store and you will be blown away with the selection. Adorable little buttons of every shape and size. You could do a theme or go for color coordination. Make sure you sew them on tight to withstand washings. Since the buttons or bows are on the dog's back, you don't have to worry about them biting them off or swallowing them.



Another thought, if you wanted to add sparkle and bling, would be to outline some of the squares with sparkly beads. This would be a more time-consuming project, but I bet it would look beautiful.

I am now starting to look at all of their sweaters and thinking that they could all use some customizing. This is a really fun, easy, fast project for someone who would like to add a little 'jazz' to their dog's clothes and give them a custom, one-of-a-kind look.

You know, if I had kept that tight little scarf, it would probably fit one of the dogs. Hmmm, I wonder if Michael still has it tucked away somewhere...???

1 comment:

  1. Kelli,
    It is my goal to learn how to knit dog sweaters. I'm not a great knitter, but love to do it. I'm a tight knitter too. I have a whole bag of yarn specifically for dog sweaters and some patterns, but I need a class to do it. Some of my favorite dog sweater companies are:
    Oscar Newman
    Dogo
    Gooby
    FouFou Dog
    Dallas Dog
    I See Spot
    Chilly Dog
    OoMaLoo
    ChaCha Couture
    A Pet's World
    Doggie Design
    Kiwgi Bo

    ReplyDelete