I know that in some parts of the country, people have had their gardens planted for a long time and are even harvesting from them by now. This year, here in Oregon, the weather has been completely uncooperative. Gardens have been planted. And replanted. And replanted again as the torrential rains and record cold weather have wreaked havoc with the tender plants.
Thus, there we were, on the 14th of June, just getting our plants in the ground. I have been babying them along in safety from the elements, but there comes a time when they just need to get their roots in the soil.
The girls came out to help us plant. They were most intrigued with this idea that Mom and Dad were down on all fours, digging in the dirt.
I had to laugh at Stormie. She kept looking at me like she was saying, "Now, let me get this straight....if I dig in the dirt, that is bad. But, if YOU dig in the dirt, that is good? I am confused here, Mom."
Breezy sat down in from of this one tomato plant as if to say, "I will guard this plant with my life. Do not worry about a thing."
I tried to explain to them that the tomatoes would be turned into yummy salsa in the fall. They won't get to taste any of it, but as dogs with their origins in Mexico, they should appreciate that this is what the plants are for, correct?
In the end, we had tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and zucchini planted.
And a nice little fence up around them, as Bonnie thinks that this soft, nice garden soil is so fun to dig in.
It was pretty warm, so the girls went to hang out on their favorite deck chair. Poor Stormie with her dark black coat gets feeling the heat long before any one else. Right after this picture was taken she hopped down and headed to the water bowl.
It was a good family activity for the night, and now the girls run out to check the garden every time we go outside.
No comments:
Post a Comment