Welcome to Cody and Company Pets


This blog features the adventures and thoughts of my life with our little Chihuahuas. Life is certainly never dull when you have such cuties to spoil and enjoy life with!






Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Pup Organizing Notebook

People often are shocked when they hear that we have seven dogs. Besides the looks from some that clearly show that they think I am crazy, there is usually a barrage of questions as to how I keep so many dogs healthy, happy and organized. I have decided to start a series on this topic, not because I feel that I am an expert in every aspect of dog ownership, but rather to show what is working for me and hopefully give my readers some ideas for themselves.

I am starting with my Dog Notebook. It is a simple planner binder that you can find at any office supply store, or even at thrift stores.


I started  using planners for organization many years ago while raising six children. It was before the days of smart phones and digital calendars. While I use those now also, I still like a physical book that I can keep information in.

So, let's take a look inside!


I have this adorable first page that is really just for my enjoyment. I purchased the stickers at a local scrapbook supply store. The little dog stickers are available here.


Because I like cute things, I also have this little felt Chihuahua bookmark. You can find it here.


Next I have a page with our veterinarian's contact information and our local emergency veterinary hospital.


And I keep a page with information on our original three girls that have passed away.


From there I have individual dividers for each of our dogs. I made the dividers using dog themed scrapbook paper cut to size and laminated. When you turn to each tab, there is an updated photo of the dog, held in with Chihuahua washi tape so that they can be easily removed and replaced with a new photo as my dogs age and change in looks.



Aren't they such cutie pies??

Let's take a look at what is in each section. The first page has all the important information that I need about the dog.


I have all the actual documents in files, along with veterinary visit reports, etc., but this system keeps them at my fingertips at all times. The next few pages have quick notes on vet visits, as well as weight charts. 



I weigh the dogs with a baby scale when I give them their monthly baths. This helps me keep track of any gains or losses that would be concerning. Chihuahuas have a tendency to gain weight easily and this system helps me to monitor it before it gets too far. Keeping them at a healthy weight will prolong their lives and certainly makes my veterinarian happy!


The rest of each section has blank note paper that I can keep notes of training, milestones and special memories that I want recorded.


After each individual dog's sections is one dedicated to health, which is where I keep quick charts on what foods are safe for dogs, medication uses, a CPR chart, etc. All of which you can find with a quick Pinterest search.


Next are sections on all autoships I am subscribed to (Chewy.com, Barkbox, etc.), recipes for homemade dog treats, and a section for contact information of breeders, veterinary specialists and others.


This book resides in a corner of our kitchen, alongside a similar book that I have for family and household, as well as my daily calendar planner. It is easy to grab and take with me to  a veterinary appointment so I can reference any information the doctor may want. 



I feel comfortable that if I ever needed to leave the house in an emergency with my dogs that I could grab this book and have critical information that I would need.

I have a lot of information about each dog stored in my head, but the technical details are impossible for me to remember for all seven dogs. Does anyone actually have their dog's AKC registration number memorized? This book brings me a sense of peace in knowing that I have the information organized and at my fingertips.


What other topics would you like to learn about on how we organize a household with so many dogs? 



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this you are definitely very Organizing.
    I will have to make one of my own for my little girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad that you enjoyed this post.

      Delete