Welcome to Cody and Company Pets


This blog features the adventures and thoughts of my life with our little Chihuahuas. Life is certainly never dull when you have such cuties to spoil and enjoy life with!






Monday, May 17, 2010

Danger From the Sky


There are a lot of things we do to protect and take care of precious little pets. Because they are so small, we know to watch our feet so that we don't step on them. We know that they really shouldn't jump off of the furniture as it is bad for their joints, as well as could break a leg. We know to watch young children around our little dogs, so that they don't get dropped.

We fence our yards, walk them only on a leash (okay, I'll admit it...or in a stroller), keep a diligent eye out for larger dogs that think our little ones are a living squeaky toy.

But, are we aware of the dangers from above? To the eagles, hawks and owls, our precious little dogs look like a tasty lunch and many have lost their pets to these airborne predators.

When I first started discussing this with my family, they all thought I was crazy.

You have to remember, I live with alot of macho men....a husband and four sons. They do well to tolerate the little dogs, and only do so because they make me happy. But the thought that I was worried about a hawk swooping down and snatching one of them seemed a little far-fetched to the guys.

Until I started pointing out how many times there are hawks circling in the sky over our neighborhood. Now, I don't think they are there because news has gotten out that we have three little cuties that come out in the yard. They have always been there, I just didn't spend as much time looking up before I had Chihuahuas.

I would notice a lot of posters on poles about lost little dogs. Postings on Craig's list about a little dog that "just disappeared from our backyard". Could it be the work of birds of prey? Then, one day on our local TV news there was a story about this very thing. A hawk had swooped into some people's yard and carried off their little Chihuahua mix pup. Between my tears of horror and the "I told you so" statements, I resolved to be even more diligent.

Check out the two stories below, of recent attacks, one in Wisconsin and one in California:




Now that Spring is here and with Summer just around the corner, we are spending more time outside, and I am even more resolved to protect my precious girls. My heart goes out to anyone who has experienced this horror.

I hope that everyone will also learn from these stories and keep a diligent watch over their sweet little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment