Welcome to Cody and Company Pets


This blog features the adventures and thoughts of my life with our little Chihuahuas. Life is certainly never dull when you have such cuties to spoil and enjoy life with!






Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Gift From A Friend



I have a special bowl. There is nothing unique about this bowl, I am sure many others possess such a bowl. They probably use it for their pet to eat out of.

Not my bowl. It has a special story behind it.

I have a friend named Deborah (I have a couple friends named Deborah, but that's all the identification I am giving here). She is not a dog person. She is not a pet person at all. She thinks my dogs are nice, but even nicer because they all reside at my house, not hers.

But, Deborah is a very thoughtful person and a couple years ago she was looking for the perfect birthday gift for me. She knows that my weakness (besides Chihuahuas) is M&M's. My family refers to my M&Ms and my Big Gulps as my 'crack', but that's another story for another time.

Back to Deborah's birthday present search. She decided to get me a HUGE bag of M&M's, then decided to get a bowl for them to reside in as I would partake of their yumminess. She ended up in the housewares department of the store and found the perfect bowl.

It was white and had blue pawprints all over it. She thought: "Score! Isn't it nice that they make dishes for pet lovers?" So, off she goes to the checkout counter with her treasures.

As she is paying for her purchases, the clerk, as she is tenderly wrapping the bowl in paper, says "I have this same bowl for my dog. What kind of dog are you buying it for?'

Silence for a moment. Deborah says "It's a DOG BOWL...?!?!

The clerk looks at her strangely and replies, "Yes, what did you think it was?"

"I am buying it as a candy dish for my friend. She really likes dogs." The clerk smiles politely and completes the transaction. I am sure this story has been shared with her family and friends.

Now Deborah, being an honest person, has to tell me this story as she proudly presents me with my gift. She apologizes profusely and tells me I can give it to the dogs if I want to. We are all practically rolling on the floor as we hear her tell it.

So proud that she found a line of dishes for pet lovers. Hahahaha.

Oh no, Deborah, the dogs are never getting this bowl.

Anyway, the bowl proudly held the M&Ms until they were gone. We now use it for all kinds of purposes as we serve meals. It holds vegetables, or mashed potatoes, a dip, or a small salad. It is most definitely used. And always on the table when Deborah and her family come for a meal.

I love this bowl. It means the world to me that my dear friend worked so hard at finding me the perfect gift. I am reminded of this each and every time I use the bowl.

A great friend, whether two legged, or four, is a gift to be treasured.

No comments:

Post a Comment